Moments In Time 1
TWO photos taken 101 years apart.
The black and white image is dated 1906 – a century ago – the year the Quintin Hogg Memorial Sports Ground opened.
With the photographer standing by what is now Hartington Road, it shows the old grass courts and the original Chiswick Pavilion.
Cavendish Road, behind the pavilion, had yet to be built, as had the local houses. Much of this part of Grove Park remained undeveloped.
Reproduced with permission of University of Westminster Archive Services, the 1906 photo shows the newly opened pavilion, complete with wooden balcony.
The “left-hand” extension we have today was added in 1960 to house the Ladies Tennis Club, whose original club house had been destroyed in a World War Two air raid.
The wooden balustrade seen at the front of the pavilion in 1906 still existed in 1960 but was later replaced by the glass “conservatory” seen in the 2006 colour image (below). This was added on to the front of the building to extend the interior lounge area of what we now call the lower bar.
As we look to the future on the Chiswick site, it's also a good time to look back to where we came from.
The tennis club itself celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2007. Click here to see the photos.
Click on Moments In Time 2 for more about the history of Chiswick Poly Tennis and yet more historic photos.
With many thanks to University Archivist Elaine Penn.
You can also serve up these links for more information:
Play The Game – scroll down through this PDF document for the history (along with photos) of some of the other Polytechnic Sports Clubs and a history of our Chiswick site, again with archive images.
University of Westminster History